In virus-infected plants, the meristematic tissues in both apical and axillary buds are free of virus because
|the dividing cells are virus resistant
|meristems have antiviral compounds
|the cell division of meristems are faster than the rate of viral multiplication
|viruses cannot multiply within meristem cell(s)
The term ‘totipotency’ refers to the capacity of a
1. cell to generate whole plant
2. bud to generate whole plant
3. seed to germinate
4. cell to enlarge in size
Given below are a few statements regarding somatic hybridization. Choose the correct statements.
|Protoplasts of different cells of the same plant are fused.
|Protoplasts from cells of different species can be fused.
|Treatment of cells with cellulase and pectinase is mandatory.
|The hybrid protoplast contains characters of only one parental protoplast.
1. I and III
2. I and II
3. I and IV
4. II and III
An explant is
1. dead plant
2. part of the plant
3. part of the plant used in tissue culture
4. part of the plant that expresses a specific gene
1. propagation of microbes in vitro
2. propagation of plants in vitro
3. propagation of cells in vitro
4. growing plants on smaller scale
1. another name for protoplasm
2. an animal cell
3. a plant cell without a cell wall
4. a plant cell
To isolate protoplast, one needs
3. both pectinase and cellulase